- The Blackburn TrakStand Mag 3 provides users three (3) magnetic resistance levels to customize their training on.
- This indoor bike trainer’s frame was redesigned from a tubular to a boxed steel frame.
- It has non-skid plastic feet.
Dimensions, Assembly, and Storage
- The Blackburn TrakStand Mag 3 measures 24 inches by 21 inches by 9 inches (Width x Height x Diameter).
- Upon shipping, it is approximately 25 pounds.
- The Trakstand Mag 3 can fit most road and mountain bikes.
- The package already includes a quick-release skewer, and dual adjuster cones for bikes with 700c and 26-inch wheels.
- For storage and portability, the unit is designed to be foldable.
Customize to Optimize
The Blackburn TrakStand Mag 3 does a wonderful job in providing users with 3 resistance settings to choose from, as opposed to most affordable to mid-level trainers that claim to have progressive magnetic resistance. The option to choose resistance levels is precious for people who are forced to stay indoors because of weather conditions, instead of training outdoors.
To compare the old model that had a tubular design, this newer boxed frame does make a significant difference in terms of stability and the feeling of sturdiness while on your bike, as it is mounted on the Blackburn TrakStand Mag 3.
Portability and Easy Storage
Like all Blackburn trainers, the TrakStand Mag 3 can easily be folded and stored in very small spaces. Moreover, it is very easy to assemble and disassemble. So, taking it on a business trip or vacation is a breeze.
Where’s the Remote?
One of the things that I really liked with Blackburn’s Tech Mag 6 is its handlebar-mountable resistance adjustment remote. The TrakStand Mag 3 does not come with a remote. You’ll either have to dismount to change settings, or as an alternative, shift your own bike’s gears.
Skinny and Smooth = Less Noise
Be prepared to hear the sound similar to a loud vacuum cleaner, if you plan to use a mountain bike with knobby wheels on the Blackburn TrakStand Mag 3. The best set-up for minimal noise would be achieved by changing your rear tire with an inexpensive skinny and smooth tire.
What about 29ers?
Since the axle is at a height of about 15 inches, 29-inch wheel bikes, in theory, could work on the TrakStand Mag 3. However, some users have tried attaching a 29er bike to the product, and found that there are more safety risks in doing so.
Blackburn is known in the cycling world for its commitment to producing innovative, high-quality, customer needs-driven products. After all, it’s been around since 1975, when its founder, Jim Blackburn started to look at the emerging cycling culture in the US. Having gone through sensible and research-based product revisions, the Blackburn TrakStand Mag 3 is a testament to the company’s brand pledge.